Sunday, May 12, 2013

"Bostonians... Oslonians?"

Today was a much easier day in terms of hustling (my mom's catchphrase) and walking compared to the other days since we've landed in Scandinavia. We woke up at the crack of dawn (not really, but it sure felt like it) and headed over to Central Station to catch the train going to Olso, Norway.  The ride was about six hours, but the views along the way were gorgeous: rolling hills and farms on one side, the fjord ("a narrow inlet of sea between two cliffs" -Wikipedia) and its gentle waves on the other.  Very relaxing.  I was able to rest my weary feet and finish three books along the way.  What a treat :D

Olso is cold! After dropping our bags at yet another conveniently located hotel one block away from the promenade and the fjord, we bundled up and headed over to the Nasjonalgalleriet (National Gallery), which "houses Norway's greatest and largest collection of art" (Frommer's).  One of the most prominent works of art located there is Edvard Munch's 1893 The Scream.  This era of expressionist art is my mom's favorite, so she enjoyed seeing this exhibit.  Unfortunately, there were only two exhibits open today, so we didn't stay long.


After the "museum of the day," we explored more of Oslo on foot.  Finally, after what seemed like hours (just kidding!) of walking and wondering missa kaikki ihmiset ovat, I decided I needed a good old-fashioned American meal.I was getting tired of bread and cheese all day every day and needed a break. We stopped at a TGI Fridays and ordered drinks all around, chips and salsa, and a delicious burger for me with baconskiver (bacon slices).  It was delicious and just what I needed. We headed back to the hotel, from where I am now blogging while my parents are out on a dinner date (cue the aawwwwwwws).

Check out the Nobel Peace Center behind us!

Tomorrow we board another train headed to Bergen- our last stop on this trip! 


1 comment:

  1. Aawwwww!
    Sounds like you guys are having fun and seeing lots of sites.

    ReplyDelete