Saturday, May 11, 2013

Seeing the sites in Sweden

Sweden is packed with fun!  After a 45 minute hike (with all our bags, mind you) from the port to downtown Stockholm, we finally found our hotel, dropped our bags off, and immediately went out in search for lunch.  We found a food emporium and enjoyed a variety of Swedish (Sweetish!) treats. I napped after lunch (my mom is running me ragged!) while my parents went for a walk in the old city.



Dad found a great restaurant for dinner, and we were eating yet again. I tried steak tartare and wasn't a fan,but dessert was delicious. We all needed some sleep, so we headed back to the hotel right after dinner. We walked past a lovely fountain surrounded by cherry trees on our way back.



Mom and I headed out early this morning to do some shopping. Seeing how stylish the women look here makes me think I need a new wardrobe. I made a little progress on that, and then we met Dad for lunch at another great food hall. After tasting too many desserts, we hit the museum circuit. 



The Vassa Museum is on Djurgarden island, a short walk from our hotel. The museum houses the Vassa  ship, which sank on its maiden voyage out of Stockholm  in 1628. A crew raised it 333 years later and has restored much of it. The restoration process is yielding a lot of information about wood, chemicals and oxynidation. 


Just down the road from the Vassa Museum is the ABBA museum that opened just 4 days ago. We had a lot fun learning about the group's rise in popularity and singing Mama Mia hits!
Haluaisitko tanssia kanssani?


We are all wiped and looking forward to a restful train ride to Oslo tomorrow, but not before getting more food for dinner!


1 comment: